This section will help you set up your new bbPress-powered site. This section will go through installing and configuring your settings and importing forums to bbPress from another forum solution. The following are some guides to check out and get you started with bbPress.
It is recommended that you take a backup before you install bbPress. Please read the the guides below and follow the step by step instructions:
Automatic Plugin Installation
- Log into your WordPress back-end.
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- You will see bbPress part of the featured plugins and you can install from there, or you can type “bbPress” into the search bar and hit enter to search the plugins.
- Click Install Now.
- Now Activate the bbPress plugin.
Manual Plugin Installation
- Download the bbPress plugin from https://bbpress.org/download/ or from https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress/.
- Now go to Plugins > Add New
- Then click the Upload Plugin button at the top.
- Click Choose File then choose your the bbPress zip file you downloaded.
- Hit Install Now, now activate.
Upon activation, bbPress will add menu items to the WordPress backend menu. These are:
- bbPress creates three custom post types and adds them to the navigation menu: Forums, Topics, and Replies. Use these menu items to create and manage your forums.
- A sub-menu found at Settings > Forums. Customize these settings for greater control over bbPress.
User roles and capabilities
The default bbPress Roles are:
- Keymaster – Can create, edit and delete other users’ forums, topics and replies. Can manage Tags, and moderate a forum with the moderation tools. Has access to global forum settings, tools, and importer.
- Moderator – Can create and edit forums. Can create, edit and delete other users’ topics and replies. Can manage Tags, and moderate a forum with the moderation tools.
- Participant – Can create and edit their own topics and replies.
- Spectator – Can only read topics and replies.
- Blocked – All capabilities are explicitly blocked.